LONDON, Ont. - The 2017-18 varsity season was the strongest ever for the Fanshawe Falcons. The campaign saw Fanshawe Athletics set a new Fanshawe College record for most medals in a season with 20. The medal haul breaks the previous record of 17 set in 2009-10, 2015-16 and 2016-17 for the most provincial and national medals in one season. The Falcons also led the OCAA in national medals this season and set a Fanshawe record with six, which surpassed last year's record of five.
Among the OCAA's 29 members, Fanshawe ranked second in the OCAA overall medal count, winning six provincial championships (ties Fanshawe record previously set in 1978-79 and 1987-88). The Falcons 14 OCAA medals were eight more than the third ranked member.
"These exceptional results are a credit to our tremendous coaching staff and outstanding student-athletes that compete and exhibit championship characteristics, along with great support from our Senior Leadership and Student Union," stated Nathan McFadden, Fanshawe's Manager of Athletics. "Fanshawe's support for the Falcons has never been stronger and we know that our students, staff and alumni take great pride in the remarkable accomplishments of our Falcons' programs."
The Falcons record setting season also included a number of historic individual and team performances, including:
- Men's Volleyball's best finish ever (CCAA Silver)
- Men's Volleyball's first-ever perfect OCAA season (18-0)
- Badminton's first national medal in Women's Singles in 30 years (CCAA Bronze)
- Men's Golf's best individual national finish ever (fourth)
- Cross Country's OCAA quadruple gold medal sweep ties Fanshawe record set in 1991
- Six OCAA championships in one season ties Fanshawe record last set 30 years ago
Source: Fanshawe College